Sunday November 3, 2013

To my surprise there wasn’t any snow on the ground when I woke up at 4 o’clock. Since the forecast called for it I was pretty sure it would happen, especially with where I was hunting.

I hit the trail about 5am and began my trek. I consciously paid attention to where I was when I got to the top of the hill since I lost the trail there the last few days.  Five minutes later I was fumbling through the darkness in search of my way once again. I still can’t figure out what keeps screwing me up with this place. I’m pretty sure I’m going to get it right tomorrow before I head to the doctor’s.  I’ll have to make the most of my time since I have other places to be later in the day. These last few days have flown by and I’ve loved every minute of it. It seems like the old days when we used to spend all season in the north country. There’s something about pursuing an individual buck in the mountains that can’t be explained to anyone. While many people party hunt, still-hunt, drive hunt and track, I try to locate a place where a buck is working and do my best to kill him. I’ve done that here like I always used to. I’m pretty sure I could put this buck on the ground if I spent my vacation I these woods. I discovered a route he’s taking today that might surprise a few people, but it doesn’t surprise me.  I’m hoping he will make a mistake shortly after daylight tomorrow.  The wind will be perfect as it’s supposed to come out of the north at 4mph, so it will be almost dead calm. It’s going to be a battle with the cold though.

I’m not all that prepared for cold weather and it will be in the teens for most of the morning. We should be able to hear the deer coming for a long ways before we see them. I love when I can hear deer making their way toward me through the crunchy leaves. I’m praying I get to hear it in the morning even if it’s a doe or two.

Dad watched the same doe for about an hour and half today. She fed on a hillside without covering hardly any ground. He was surprised that no bucks showed up to investigate. I guess it’s just not quite ready to happen yet. If he had that same scenario next week it might play out a little differently.

I saw a fisher shortly after daylight this morning. It took me an hour and 25 minutes to get to where I sat. That’s a long walk in the dark without much of a trail. Sometimes I’m amazed I can find my way. I’m going back to the same place in the morning . I have a hunch about  it, so I’ll play the odds. I learned a long time ago to go with your gut when the second voice starts talking. It’s talking quite loudly right now, so I will be there when the sun comes up.  I’ll sit back and see what unfolds in front of me. That’s the beauty of the big woods. You never know what might show up. I might see a mountain monarch, a doe and fawn or maybe even a moose or a bear.  In the end it doesn’t matter what I see because I just enjoy being in the big woods. Until next time……………..


Leave a Reply